Saturday, September 29, 2007

Two sides of the story

I happen to know many Greek colleagues of my generation. Met many of them in Germany, and some later through common friends, or concerts in Greece. I do have faith in this generation, a really talented one, with studies abroad. Most of the pianists for example between 25-35, the ones that perform more or less regularly, have studied in Academies and Universities in Europe. The reason I concider these studies important is not because they learned how to play an instrument, or how to make music. It is rather the fact that they got used to a different mentality than the one of the previous generations.

I talked to one of them last summer. One that I met very briefly here in Helsinki. He went to a concert last season, a kind of breakthrough for most Greek conductors, and he liked some of the concert's soloists. He offered the soloist to perform with the orchestra where the conductor assists. In theory, this is a noble and unique for the reality gesture. Practically the young soloist might wait a year or two until he plays with the orchestra.

Now, this gesture is something that I agree with. In general, many of my colleagues, soloists or conductors don't attend concerts in Greece. There are some exceptions but very few. It has happened to me once or twice (and I'm referring to colleagues that weren't freinds), the older I get obviously the less colleagues will be interested in listening to me. It is however a fact, that some persons in important positions couldn't care less about my playing, or for that matter anybody else's that they don't personally know... This raises the question: how do they decide who performs when and with whom, and where? I guess if they know you, you're lucky. And I'm not afraid to admit that this is how it worked with me in several occasions, though not always, not lately. Furthermore, in comparison with quite a few musicians I concider myself lucky, as far as performace opprtunities are concerned.

Anyway, listen to younger performers if you go to (are in) Greece, you might get surprised. Cheers!

buzz it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re sy filaraki, ti thapsimo peftei gia sena sto Operailove.Des ta sholia sto post gia tin els.Sou paratheto
Ο/Η mahler76 είπε...

Ora einai na bei kai i alli vlaha apo to Helsinki na pei tin apopsi tis hihihhi

04 October, 2007 23:48
Enas kalos sou filos poy se prostatevei.Mousikologos

advocatus diaboli said...

Δεν πέφτει κανένα θάψιμο, κε Νάσο, ως προς το πρόσωπό σας στο Opera I Love. Το συγκεκριμένο σχόλιο ήταν μια (ατυχής, κατά την άποψή μου) γνώμη ενός συγκεκριμένου προσώπου. Προσωπικά συμμετέχω στο συγκεκριμένο blog και δεν έχω "θάψει" κανέναν.

Στέφανος Νάσος said...

Αγαπητέ φίλε μουσικολόγε,

με τον mahler76 είχα σε παλιότερο ποστ του ίδιου μπλογκ καυγά σε χαμηλό επίπεδο. Ενώ προηγουμένως τον έχω παρακολουθήσει 2-3 μήνες... Εκτός του ότι είναι άσχετος, ψώνιο, και χυδαίος (οι πρώτες δύο ιδιότητες δεν με ενοχλούν), πιστεύω με την ημιεπαγγελματική μου ιδιότητα (7 χρόνια Φιλλανδία) ότι είναι και παθολογική περίπτωση... Δεν έχω κανένα λόγο να ξανατσακωθώ μαζί του. Εν πάσει περιπτώσει, υπάρχουν πολλά μπλογκ από επαγγελματίες του χώρου, οπότε θα περιορίσω τη σχολιαστική μου ιδιότητα εκεί. Στα υπόλοιπα απλός αναγνώστης...

advocatus diaboli.

δεν πρόλαβα να διαβάσω τα σχόλια ακόμα, αλλά πιστεύω ότι η απάντηση μου προς το μουσικολόγο να σάς καλύπτει.

ena koritsi pou akouei "radioswissclassic" said...

exeis omorfia sth psyxh.
tpt allo