Saturday, June 7, 2008

Great Greeks...

The international reader will probably know the successful BBC series Great Britons. The format proved popular among viewers, and it has been produced elsewhere too. This year, last May, it was the turn of my country for such a program. A channel named skai (pronounced sky -any similarity there?), has taken the burden of chosing 100 great Greeks.

Among them, 5 musicians -that is five musicians that relate to classical music. Of them two are there as well for other reasons than their creativity. I'm referring to Manos Hatzidakis and Mikis Theodorakis, who both composed also several works of lighter character and engaged in politics too. Two others are legends. Maria Callas and Dimitri Mitropoulos need no further presentation. Now, you would expect the fifth to be, let's say Iannis Xenakis. (I know I was very much surprised not to see his name on that list). Or some other singer with international career; there are some of them. No. The fifth person is a pianist named Eleni Mouzala. She has -according to the sources- an international career and gets the best revuews wherever she plays...

Maybe it is so... But among all the Greek performers, singers, conductors and composers, is she the greatest? How come? Where are her piano students? How come I have never heard any of them? Is she really so good? If you aren't a Greek and you have heard of her, please do write some comment... I would really like to know about her... Though, I have learned that publicity in this business is just a necessity. In reality, it doesn't make you good!

Who knows... anyway, the person that made the list -and probably there were many of them, so, the person that proposed the music personalities must be a good friend of her. I really doubt whether anyone with a good knowledge of the branch -and some musical background- would propose her for that list... that is before Xenakis, Dimitriadis, Hadjinikos, Baltsa, or even Kavakos (he's already 40 after all...).

Euro 2008 starts soon. Cheers!

buzz it!

3 comments:

Parsifal said...

I couldnt agree more...You can find some videos of hers at youtube if interested...

proinos said...

I'm Greek so I'm not intitled to speak about her, but I do remind you, that the 100 Greeks of the list came out of a on-line competition, that means that with 10-15 votes from your friends, or maybe even from only one, but an internet-expert with multiple IP addresses, that would be enough to give you a similar position!

Stefanos Nasos said...

True, this is no expert list, just people's choice. Here the rules of the british
show
, since I couldn't find those of the Greek one.


But then, there's the vanity factor...

Am I so vain that I would wish my name in this list??? For God's sake!